Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Rudolf Nureyev

I don't know whether this will work, so I'll just post this and continue... I've had some valium so I may fall asleep ! Please press COMMENT to read about Rudolf the Divine.

Comments on "Rudolf Nureyev"

 

Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said ... (Wednesday, September 20, 2006 1:06:00 PM) : 

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said ... (Wednesday, September 20, 2006 1:08:00 PM) : 

Well, the words on your blog so at least you know that you can get text there for us to read.

Its pretty difficult to mess things up badly...

Sorry but I have deleted my earlier comment which was missing some words but it said much the same as this...

 

Blogger Rupe said ... (Wednesday, September 20, 2006 1:20:00 PM) : 

Well it worked, so I'll continue.

In 1978 Nureyev was celebrating his 40th birthday. My newspaper asked me to go to the Coliseum to meet with him.
Now, Nureyev was my GOD. I love the ballet and was lucky enough to have watched him in awe many times at Covent Garden.
He was dancing The Sleeping Princess, he wad directing it as well.
Unfortunately that morning I stupped my toe at home and went to local hospital who said it was broken. It was summer so I wore open toe sandals but was walking like a drunken penguin.
There had benna lot of publictity that Nureyef had had a shouting slanging match with Lord Snowdon, who I call Snowdrop...so I was nery nervous.
However miracle of miracles, he liked me and he knew I loved him.
He was making up in his dressing room and let me click away, he knew I was not using any kind of wide angle lens, and I was just using the available light.

The ballet had started, the first scene , as the Prince he was not dancing but he took me to the wings as he wanted to watch the complex movements of principal
ballerina. We watched, and I kept pinching myself.
I should explain that we had had a converation in his dressing room, me sitting at his feet, and I told him that ny Father had taken me to the ballet all my life, and that I wanted to be a ballet dancer when I was very young but instead of growing into a swan, I was more suited to Arsenal.

Whilst he was limberingup in the wings, for his eventual performance, I did not disturb him, but whispered that when he was finished, could I photo' him just as he stood. There was total blackness except for a small strong blue light in background.
This turned out to be the best photo I had ever taken in my life.

I could se the seat all over his face dripping down.....I rushed him into dressing room hwhere there was an elderly ladt waiting to spea\k to him, by this time I was in a state of hysteris as I HAD to capture this heavily made up face with that sweat. The lady vanished, and I set to work.
That became the second best photo' I have evr taken.

If Nureyev had said to me, "Drop your cameras and folloe me for the rest of my life, that is exactly what I would have done.

He was the most magnetic, hypnotic extraorinary person I have ever met
He was absolutely beautiful, with a body to knock anyone for six.

I'll be forever grateful for the priviledge of meeting him, talking to him and most of all for those magnificent photographs.

 

Blogger Rupe said ... (Wednesday, September 20, 2006 1:22:00 PM) : 

sorry all, I didn't edit all the ghastly errors.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Wednesday, September 20, 2006 2:54:00 PM) : 

Rupe, you are SO Lucky. I went to watch Nureyev dance with my Mum, when I was in my teens in the 1960's. We sat in the Gods, watching through opera glasses.
He was completely magical. Half my class at school was in love with him.
I even saw him dance with Fonteyn once.
I remember the excitement when he asked for asylum.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Wednesday, September 20, 2006 3:24:00 PM) : 

That's so interesting, Rupe; I'd love to hear more.

Curmy - Nureyev danced with your mother?

 

Blogger Linda Mason said ... (Wednesday, September 20, 2006 3:44:00 PM) : 

Rupe, I've emailed you so you know what I think! Good piece. Looking forward to more.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Wednesday, September 20, 2006 4:00:00 PM) : 

Sarnia, as soon as I posted that, I knew I'd worded it badly ! No it wasn't my Mum !

 

Blogger Doktor Skum said ... (Wednesday, September 20, 2006 4:44:00 PM) : 

did i say something nasty about cats on R5?

 

Blogger Rupe said ... (Wednesday, September 20, 2006 5:49:00 PM) : 

Hello Skum, it was probably something fairly horrible, I think about cats. I know now you didn't mean it, x

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Thursday, September 21, 2006 1:38:00 PM) : 

Darling one,
You write just as you talk!
I felt like I was there with you.
Your are majic
Love
from Wacky
ps.. You could improve your spelling!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Thursday, September 21, 2006 2:08:00 PM) : 

Wacky....I know I didn't edit it properly. I did say sorry.
Sorry to tell you oh brilliant one, majic is spelled MAGIC.

love x x

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Thursday, September 21, 2006 2:11:00 PM) : 

sorry...how did I become anonymous....oh dear, it's all too much to understand so quickly

 

post a comment