Friday, September 29, 2006

A CHAT WITH MY THIEF....

I have had my car raided about 20 times in 25 years.

Always my own fault.

I sometimes forget to lock my car.

I have always known it was the same person.
Over the years all my CD's were stolen.
They knew where I hid coins for parking meters.
Multitudes of other stuff was stolen.

Once a huge tripod was stolen....the police retrieved it the same afternoon.
A valuable set of hallogen lights were taken after I'd got home late night after lighting
a large area of National History Museum, photographing an unpronouncable massive head
of an extinct reptile.

About 8 years ago the local police telephoned me and asked me to pay a visit
to Kentish Town Police Station, to identify something.

They had a case which had contained a pair of sun glasses. I had written my name inside the lid
plus the name of my newspaper. The police had traced me.
So there I was in a small interview room, with a police officer and a pile of interesting looking papers in a see thru' plastic envelope. The officer had forgotten the case, and left the room to locate it.
He was gone for about 3 minutes, in which time I found the name and address of the suspect.
Earlier the officer had correctly refused the identity of the suspect.

The officer returned and I told him never to trust a journalist, and indeed the case was mine.

The thief lives in a mansion flat 5 minutes away, and after asking questions to various neighbours and locals, I discovered he was a well know thief and had spent time in and out of prison.

Two weeks ago my car was raided again, there was nothing to steal except a rather beautiful hand carved walking stick which I used a couple of times after a bit of surgery.

Of course by now I knew what he looked like. I watched him walking his 2 massive dangerous looking dogs, with huge gold studded harnesses on them.....he would walk the street looking inside the cars, sizing them up for future visits.

Anyway two days ago, I spoke to him...and said something like...
" Hello...lovely dogs.....look you know this area, my car has been raided recently and a lovely walking stick was taken......if you hear anything, please tell me "

OK, so yesterday afternoon, the door bell rang. I opened an upstairs window....it was my thief.

" Just to tell you, you've left you car door open"

I thanked him very much.

Comments on "A CHAT WITH MY THIEF...."

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Friday, September 29, 2006 1:32:00 PM) : 

That's priceless Rupe, he's got a nerve, and how clever of you to have found his address, honestly the Plod are useless. I hope the next time your doorbell rings, you'll find your walking stick propped up against the door.
I hope he knows you've clocked him.

 

Blogger Rupe said ... (Friday, September 29, 2006 1:49:00 PM) : 

Curmy, it's like I know what he knows, and he knows what I know.

He looks a bit "high" most of the time, so I reckon it was sold for drugs.
Funnily enough I quite like him !!

 

Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said ... (Friday, September 29, 2006 1:56:00 PM) : 

Unless the information was left around with the intention of it being seen...

 

Blogger Rupe said ... (Friday, September 29, 2006 2:04:00 PM) : 

Gildy, that is very very clever of you.
I never thought of that.

 

Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said ... (Friday, September 29, 2006 2:20:00 PM) : 

Many years ago a new neighbour moved in and caused no end of problems locally for those living near to them. Mainly noise of doors clashing and shouting etc...

Then one day it was our turn to be contacted by some official wanting information.

We're going back quite a number of years.

We were told that the name of the person could not be divulged.

Then by accident(or was it deliberate)the name was said.

One day a package was left because someone was out and the name and address was on it. We'd guessed correctly.

Thankfully, things settled down and all seems ok but people who once lived either side of this person decided to move out or found peace by passing away.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Friday, September 29, 2006 6:00:00 PM) : 

You know what they say - keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

Well done, Rupe. Hopefully that'll be the last time he raids your car.

If I moved back to London I'd be easy prey for burgulars; after a few years living in Guernsey I've got into the pattern of never locking anything (car or house).

 

Blogger Gavin Corder said ... (Friday, September 29, 2006 8:51:00 PM) : 

Curiously enough your villain will probably watch over you now. We don't have a back door key actually. It was lost some years ago. There's usually someone about and the bad boys in the flats over the lane keep a watchful eye out...

 

Blogger Rupe said ... (Friday, September 29, 2006 9:13:00 PM) : 

I'm sure you are right Gavin, as Sarnia has said, keep your enemies close.

I must say I nearly fell out of the window when I saw it was Thiefy
and his massive dogs.

He was so nice and caring.....strange old world.

 

Blogger Name Witheld said ... (Friday, September 29, 2006 10:10:00 PM) : 

I wouldn't dare do anything like that : especially if two big dogs were present.

 

Blogger Rupe said ... (Saturday, September 30, 2006 5:52:00 AM) : 

Don't laugh Les, dogs usually like me very much...even police dogs give me the odd lick.
It's some humans I have a problem with !

 

Blogger Paul said ... (Saturday, September 30, 2006 3:11:00 PM) : 

I agree with Gildy - I've heard of this happening elsewhere, a police officer 'forgetting' a pen or needing the loo and leaving a file conveniently in place for a little local justice.

Mind you, the thief has got more front than Sainsbury's if he's tried your car door, found it open and called on you!

 

Blogger Mister Frost said ... (Saturday, September 30, 2006 3:43:00 PM) : 

My brother got beaten up by a well known local hoodlum by the name of Paul Newitt many years ago.

The police officers who attended told me Newitt was always attacking people but they could do little and suggested I got a couple of mates and waited for Mr Newitt and taught him a lesson. Instead I paid them twenty quid each and disappeared up to London for the night and stayed in an hotel while the deed was done.

Alibi in place I rang them only to discover Newitt had disappeared and they couldn't find him! Turns out someone had got to him before we did! :-) Didn't get my money back though but they bought me a few drinks with their ill gotten gains! Bloody mercenaries!

 

Blogger Lucy said ... (Saturday, September 30, 2006 8:27:00 PM) : 

Amazing story Rupe.
Did you ever see the short lived TV show about how to protect your hoe from burglars? It featured ex thieves to show how they did it ( a bit irresponsible really and I guess that was why it was pulled)
The interesting thing for me was when they explained that they never thought about their crimes having a victim, a real person at the end of it.
It was this realisation that made him stop thieving eventually. So maybe, him now knowing you will be the end of it.
I sure hope so.

 

Blogger Rupe said ... (Saturday, September 30, 2006 8:47:00 PM) : 

Hi Lucy, I saw those programmes.
This guy has recognised me for years, and vice versa...it's just I actually came out with it...instinctively..I thought it was a good thing to do.

Taking a walking stick is rather a cruel thing to do, and I think he now feels a bit guilty and virtuous.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Thursday, October 05, 2006 3:34:00 PM) : 

dear rupe

now you know your thief, keep talking to him. admire his dogs. gain his confidence. do anything you can until time you want a new car - then politely advise him one day that rather than tickling the outer edges of auto theft you would like your whole car stolen, removed and lost forever, untraceably lost, preferably exported to bulgaria or turkmenistan or anywhere that it'll never be found. your insurance company will do the rest.

tusitala

 

post a comment