Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Death of a Beloved Mobile 'Phone...what a morning !


This morning my beautiful black Nokia mobile "Banana" 'phone which I have owned for 10 years has irrevocably broke down.

Then one of my tyres exploded, damaging the bumper, so my car is out of action.

I had bought three DVD's at HMV, and when I finally got home, they had vanished.

To cap it all, I lost a brand new black leather glove.

I am staying at home for the rest of the day.

Comments on "Death of a Beloved Mobile 'Phone...what a morning !"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Wednesday, November 22, 2006 1:06:00 PM) : 

Rupe - what a dreadful day you're having.

Gloves are a bit like socks - one of a pair always seem to go missing.

 

Blogger Name Witheld said ... (Wednesday, November 22, 2006 1:45:00 PM) : 

Sorry to hear you're having such a lousy day Rupe.

May I suggest that you treat yourself in some indulgent way?

When you get round to looking at a new 'phone I think you'll find the technology has advanced remarkably in the last ten years. My first mobile was a Bosch 509e which my colleagues called "the orange brick". I loved that phone but it can't compare with, say, the Samsung my got in August. (When she renews her contract, I get her cast-off, so I have a Nokia 6020 now.)

 

Blogger Rupe said ... (Wednesday, November 22, 2006 2:04:00 PM) : 

Ows, I went into Nokia, who have a big shop where I live. I am not upgrading, as I am keeping my lovely Banana. I hate the new phones, too small and complicated.
But I have chosen another and the shop is charging it up for me and I'll go back in a few days for a lesson.

No, tyre out of warranty.

I paid cash for DVD's they were on special offer.

Very upset.

Les Paul, I bought an M&S bread and butter pudding for indulgence.

Sarnia, we had better beat Moan U.

AND please God let us win the Ashes

 

Blogger Gavin Corder said ... (Wednesday, November 22, 2006 2:50:00 PM) : 

Cheer up! Fester's in disgrace. Having dumped the shopping in the kitchhen and then answered the door to a print delivery I returned to find he'd "unpacked" a kilo of beautiful lean braising steak. He's hiding in his tray under the laundry table.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Wednesday, November 22, 2006 5:54:00 PM) : 

Gavin - I presume Fester is a dog and not one of your children?

Rupe - I can just predict what will happen on Sunday. Chelsea will get about 6 yellow cards and probably get a player sent off.

Moan Yoo won't get any yellows; be awarded a dubious pen and if Carlo saves it will be told to retake it.

Thank God that that showman Poll isn't officiating or it could be even worse than that!

 

Blogger Rupe said ... (Wednesday, November 22, 2006 5:58:00 PM) : 

Well my day has now fallen into a nightmare.
Camden has sent me a warning letter saying I haven't paid a fine for parking my car without my permit being easily seen.

So now I've written a letter and have to get everything photocopied tomorrow, I never even saw the bloody fine in the first place and in the second place my permit is very visible. They want £150.
I just can't believe all this.

Also the cheating bastards who ran the Italian disaster exhibition have got away with blue murder, and unless I hire an Italian speaking lawyer, and I understand
that copyright law is different in Italy than here in UK. So it's all pointless.

Gavin, send Fester over anytime !!

Gavin

 

Blogger Rupe said ... (Wednesday, November 22, 2006 6:17:00 PM) : 

Sarnia, Fester is Gavin's mighty
Maine Coon cat. Same breed as Rosie, but a boy and much larger.
Delicious looking cat...Gavin put up a photo' of him a while ago.

Isn't Fester a great name?

 

Blogger Curmy said ... (Wednesday, November 22, 2006 6:37:00 PM) : 

Rupe, so sorry you've had a bad day. Have you checked you didn't drop your DVD's in the shop.
Someone might have handed them in, or aren't people so honest in London ? !
My OH's got his original phone, it's a Motorola. it looks like a black brick. He won't part with it.

 

Blogger Gavin Corder said ... (Wednesday, November 22, 2006 6:39:00 PM) : 

Fester is a Very Naughty Cat!

 

Blogger Rupe said ... (Wednesday, November 22, 2006 7:27:00 PM) : 

Curmy, hello, I 'phoned HMV. Nothing. I think I just fell to bits oday and everything has gone wrong.

 

Blogger Curmy said ... (Wednesday, November 22, 2006 8:42:00 PM) : 

Hugs Rupe.

 

Blogger Rupe said ... (Wednesday, November 22, 2006 9:19:00 PM) : 

Thanks Curmy, I'll be up most of the night listening to the Ashes.
Fingers and toes crossed.

Tomorrow will be a better day.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Wednesday, November 22, 2006 11:21:00 PM) : 

Fester is a cat? WHAT a cat!

Oh well, Rupe we lost tonight but are still through. I bet Barca are spitting nails. They will have to beat Bremen in Dec to ensure passage through. Bremen just need the draw. All heat off Chelsea and all piled onto those two teams.

 

Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said ... (Thursday, November 23, 2006 1:03:00 AM) : 

Oh Rupe,
Cyber hugs to you. I am happy that you are safe and unharmed after the tyre incident. I had many years ago two or three cd's go missing and I am sure that they were stolen but difficult to prove.

Its probably worse when you constantly try to work out where your DVD's were lost even if you cannot get them back, you just like to try and work out where something misplaced.

Losing a glove is something I have done in the past but I know that your's will not be just any old glove.

As for the letter about a fine...my car has not been used for 5-6 years and as yet I have not got around to having it taken away but its off the road so I declare one of those Sorn's every so often...one year I was given the wrong information by the Post Office but after some pleading and letters going to and fro I was let off for a fine they tried to take off me. So I hope you are successful.

Then again I heard how a traffic Warden fined a car owner when a car had been parked in an unsuitable place but Dr's told him that the driver had been in an emergency as his wife had been taken away by ambulance suffering what became a fatal heart attack and still he insisted on ticketing the vehicle.

Thankfully, since the ticket has been ignored by the council but they can be really officious in some cases.

Oh, well...Its the Ashes so...C'mon England...

G x

 

Blogger Rupe said ... (Thursday, November 23, 2006 8:22:00 AM) : 

Oh Thanks Gildy. Have been listening to the cricket half the night.

What more horrible sound than the yells of Aussies bashing England?

 

Blogger Gavin Corder said ... (Thursday, November 23, 2006 1:37:00 PM) : 

Oh you can't not like the Aussies! Of all the nations in all the world that aren't England, Australia has to be the best. It has spawned a people with a sense of humour that is if anything a tad more robust than ours.

All the same, Ricky Ponting is looking like a man with a mission...COME ON ENGLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

Blogger Rupe said ... (Thursday, November 23, 2006 1:49:00 PM) : 

Oh yes I can dislike the Aussies Gavin. Can't stand them.
Never met one I liked.
They don't deserve their Koala Bears.
I hate their Pom bashing.

I've lost count of the emails I've sent to Sydney Morning Herald, telling them exactly what a rude, ill mannered, bunch of loud mouthed Gala's they are.
Don't ask me what that means but I was taught some odd words by an Aussie journalist once.

 

Blogger Gavin Corder said ... (Thursday, November 23, 2006 3:17:00 PM) : 

A galah is a pink and grey parrot! I grey up in Oz!

 

Blogger Rupe said ... (Thursday, November 23, 2006 3:41:00 PM) : 

OUCH !! sorry Gavin. I.ve changed my mind. Aussies are lovely, well mannered, and their TV is utterly brilliant.

So Gala's are parrots....I have a funny feeling the word is also used
as slang for something else.

I love parrots.

 

Blogger Linda Mason said ... (Thursday, November 23, 2006 4:22:00 PM) : 

Rupe, tomorrow is another day and as tomorrow is now today, I hope that you are having a better day.

 

Blogger Rupe said ... (Thursday, November 23, 2006 8:56:00 PM) : 

Thanks folks, today nothing much happened. So that's good.
Collecting car tomorrow.
Collecting horrible new mobile 'phone tomorrow.

Just found out that the station MB's are being closed down.

It was on the cards.

I wish GT and Carrie could get over here. Never mind.

Ump, thanks, Rosie is a pretty cat
but she's very bossy.

Getting prepared for another sleepless cricket night.

 

Blogger ja said ... (Thursday, November 23, 2006 9:50:00 PM) : 

Rupe, sorry, only just read this entry now. Hope you've had a better day today (at least you're safe and well).

 

Blogger Rupe said ... (Thursday, November 23, 2006 10:12:00 PM) : 

Thaks Ja, it's Ok now. Poor car was in a quiet road when tyre blew up.

Are you getting any sleep?
My DAB is on all night, and I hardly slept.....I have a bad feeling about the Ashes.

Glad you got over here before message board closes......sleep well :-)

 

Blogger ja said ... (Thursday, November 23, 2006 10:32:00 PM) : 

I went to sleep after the first hour, even at that early stage you could tell it was going to be a long day in the field for the England players, hoping for better luck tomorrow. Don't give up hope, teams have been in more difficult positions than this and come back to win. You and Rosie sleep well too!

 

Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said ... (Friday, November 24, 2006 2:59:00 AM) : 

Well, I like a bit of fun, don't we all that's another reason why these blogs are working(they remind me of how "our" board was for a time)but Anita is annoying me with her attempts of being cricket savvy so as soon as coverage starts via DAB...I'm off to 5 Extra.

If I stay awake so be it,if I drift off and hear bits, that's the way it is.

Once I had all of Sky's channels...now its the basic package that has all but Sports and Films. So its back to radio coverage.

Here's hoping for a turn around(I'm crossing my fingers and toes ;-)

I have got boarders on BBC7 worried now that their board may close...and asking when or if all the closing down of the them by a slow death can be avoided.

Management may deny it but at least they are warned to find alternatives and arrange to stay in touch before its too late.

 

Blogger Rupe said ... (Friday, November 24, 2006 12:37:00 PM) : 

I'm not listening to the cricket anymore. What a performance.

Also, have just collected my new vile horrible mobile phone.

The guy at Orange hardly knew how it worked. So I am charging it at the moment and there is no sign anywhere that it is recharging.

My lovely Banana had little dots on the screen to let me know when
it started and then finished.

I am so fed up I could scream.
I know I'll be back there tomorrow.

If anyone has any ideas I'd welcome them. I've read the handbook, but no clues there :-(

 

Blogger Curmy said ... (Friday, November 24, 2006 1:03:00 PM) : 

Oh dear Rupe, sorry I can't help, it's my birthday today, so I'm in a good mood !

 

Blogger Curmy said ... (Friday, November 24, 2006 5:25:00 PM) : 

You cheeky thing Ump !

 

Blogger Rupe said ... (Friday, November 24, 2006 7:23:00 PM) : 

Ump, guess what? the guy at Orange had never seen a cheque before !!!

Happy Birthday Curmy.

Ump, also the Orange Guy didn't know how to put in sim card without getting his fingers in total meltdown.

Oh well, have a good weekend, x

 

Blogger ja said ... (Friday, November 24, 2006 8:09:00 PM) : 

He'd never seen a cheque before, I'm surprised by that.

Curmy, Happy Birthday!

 

Blogger Curmy said ... (Friday, November 24, 2006 9:47:00 PM) : 

Thanks for the birthday wishes folks. Rupe, I hope you get your phone sorted out eventually.

 

Blogger Rupe said ... (Friday, November 24, 2006 10:23:00 PM) : 

Well, well well....good news.
My nasty little 'phone is WORKING !! It's been charging since this morning, not that you'd know it.....there's no sign anywhere that it is.
I just 'phoned myself and bless my soul, my land line was ringing.

Of course Rosie answered it, and was as rude as ever.

I am so pleased that I may put up a recipe tomorrow for Very Very Crispy Duck.

Goodnight folks, sleep well, and lets hope that England will score at least 50 more runs before crashing out. SPLAT.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Friday, November 24, 2006 11:15:00 PM) : 

Oh Rupe - you are such an original! Glad your vile, nasty new phone is working.

Happy Birthday, Curmy!

 

Blogger Curmy said ... (Sunday, November 26, 2006 7:53:00 PM) : 

Thanks Sarnia . Rupe, I'm glad you're phone's working.

 

Blogger Rupe said ... (Sunday, November 26, 2006 8:40:00 PM) : 

Curmy, the phone is working, but it is tiny, and I don't know how to use it. My son to give me a lesson today, but he may have been speaking double dutch.
My former beloved 'phone was easy, easy to use, heavy-ish, smart, and cleverly designed.
The phones nowadays are for technical geeks. I'm going back to the shop tomorrow. Trouble is that the guy who sold it to me didn't know how it worked either. !! God, I am so fed up with it.

To give a sad example, I've had the same Orange number since Orange came into existence...and I still can't remember it.
In fact I am one of their first customers, so as a gift they have given me 6 months calls reduced by £5. per month.

 

Blogger Curmy said ... (Sunday, November 26, 2006 10:35:00 PM) : 

Rupe, I've managed to get the hang of the smaller phone I inherited from my Y Daughter.
She had to write a lot of instructions down for me.
If the bloke in the shop can't explain it properly, consider changing phone companies.I think one company had bought out a simpler phone with larger numbers for older people (please don't take offence !) Why don't you make enquiries about it ?

 

Blogger Curmy said ... (Monday, November 27, 2006 10:12:00 AM) : 

Good luck in the Orange shop, Rupe.

 

Blogger Rupe said ... (Monday, November 27, 2006 1:37:00 PM) : 

No of course I will not leave Orange, I am one of their first customers.

I just have to make sure I get a salesman who has a brain.

Also I can read the blessed letters but I am not used to tiny buttons to press. Or squinting to see everything and all the squiggles and stupidly designed screen.......I'm just off to Orange and will choose a man who looks less daft than the rest.

My son just made everything more complicated for me as he thinks it's all very funny.

I am a bit dyslexic...nobody understands..my brain has real difficulty dealing with all this stuff. Better go. x

 

Blogger Rupe said ... (Monday, November 27, 2006 1:59:00 PM) : 

Not bothering with bloody 'phone any more. Waste of time.

 

post a comment