Friday, October 27, 2006

Bloody Halloween, Bloody Fireworks, AND Rosie is driving me mad.!

Yesterday went to local supermarket having to buy stacks of packets of sweets for protection from the vile marauding hooded gangs of little and large monsters who make Halloween a horror around here.
They are all ready by an upstairs window so I'll be hanging out throwing the sweets before these witches and masked devils chuck eggs at my front door.

Fireworks have already started their their banging, louder and earlier each year, turning Rosie more barmy than ever.

And to cap it all, the clocks go back, which means that Rosie will be standing on me at 4 am instead of 5 am......wanting her breakfast. I always think that she'll regulate herself to time changes. Oh really?, I'll soon be feeding her breakfast the night before.

Comments on "Bloody Halloween, Bloody Fireworks, AND Rosie is driving me mad.!"

 

Blogger Mister Frost said ... (Saturday, October 28, 2006 11:31:00 PM) : 

Hi Rupe. It's all going off around here to. (!) I have the park to the front and the cemetery to the rear so the dear little kiddiwinks are having a high old time. It's awful. Luckily Amy and Thomas are such lazy little so and sos that they don't travel too far at night. Not at all actually so they don't have to contend with the explosions at close hand.

 

Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said ... (Saturday, October 28, 2006 11:42:00 PM) : 

Poor Rosie...Poor you... ;-)

The amount of Halloween and Penny For The Guy is becoming less and less here.

Few children want a treat and if you offer money many I suspect expect a decent amount which if only a few knock at the door may be fine but after a few it can get expensive. Maybe its more noticeable in the big towns and cities.

But they say that its bigger than November 5th now and many more things are available in the shops.

And I can see that a neighbour has decorated their conservatory with various bats, spiders, ghosts etc...so I assume there is going to be a big party.

My friend in America(California)really makes a wonderful show of Halloween but has found for all the effort put in in recent years she has found fewer and fewer children calling.

So as the UK seems to be taking to this event perhaps the opposite is true in the States or is this anecdotal.

Fireworks are not happening so often this year here(so far)but the last few years have been bad. And we're not out of the period where they may be heard yet.

 

Blogger Rupe said ... (Sunday, October 29, 2006 9:17:00 AM) : 

....and as I predicted after resetting the clocks last night, Her Majesty woke me for her breakfast at 4 a.m.
With her usual noises of intense hunger and greed.

 

Blogger Rupe said ... (Monday, October 30, 2006 2:32:00 PM) : 

Hello Ump, excellent that you are in touch. I am off the R5 MB's as well. So pleased you are here. xx

 

Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said ... (Monday, October 30, 2006 2:40:00 PM) : 

Its good this isn't it...another contact joins us.

Rupe, if we tried to put the clocks forward two hours in front of GMT as in Europe during the Summer we'd have longer daylight in the evening as Europe has so could save on lighting and other things perhaps feeling safer. And then if we went back the hour in Winter it would still be lighter on mornings too.

I posed the question why if Scotland dislikes this because of the darkness and the worry of safety they could not have their own time zone. i know the UK is smaller but other countries have different time zones and manage.

If this happened Rosie's internal body clock would not change as such but it would mean in Winter she would be waking at 5am as before and in Summer 7am which could be better.

I understand during WWII the UK did put time forward by two hours and it was a success so it makes you wonder why we switched back to the old system.

 

Blogger Rupe said ... (Monday, October 30, 2006 4:41:00 PM) : 

Quite right Gildy. It's a pain in the neck.
You can tell a dog off and he will understand, and hopefully behave himself. However cats are completely indifferent to anyone else except themselves.
Mumble moan grumble groan.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Tuesday, October 31, 2006 6:41:00 PM) : 

Hi Rupe (and Hi Ump),

I hate it when the clocks go back - I think I suffer from SAD syndrome. However, I remember in the late 60s (when I was a young school child) the Govt experimented with not turning the clocks back (for two years). All I remember is the utter misery of not only returning from school in darkness but then also going to school in darkness. We were all issued with reflective armbands, I remember.

Luckily, Hallowe'en isn't a big thing here in Gsy - no-one bothers with it thank goodness.

 

Blogger Rupe said ... (Tuesday, October 31, 2006 6:57:00 PM) : 

You'd go crazy here tonight Sarnia, bell doesn't stop ringing, evil little and large monsters demanding gifts, everyone is petrified of eggs being thrown, so I am throwing down bags of sweets every few minutes. it's all noisy and non stop begging.

I'm moving to Guernsea, except I think my second husband lives there...ugh.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Tuesday, October 31, 2006 10:41:00 PM) : 

Great result! Barca are reeling!

 

Blogger Rupe said ... (Wednesday, November 01, 2006 9:44:00 AM) : 

Good old Droggy, last minute goal.
Did you see Jose slide on his knees
with joy? Ref. was blind and biased. Why does Paul (Baldinio)
call Jose, Maureen ? !!!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Wednesday, November 01, 2006 11:27:00 AM) : 

Hi Rupe - well, I went out and bought some sweets just in case. I also went through my Roses tin and took out all the ones I hate (hard caramels) and put them aside - just in case.

Not one single person came to the house!

Paul (and others) call Jose Maureen because they think it's a clever play on his surname.

In reality, it's because they're jealous - heh heh!

 

Blogger Name Witheld said ... (Thursday, November 02, 2006 8:56:00 PM) : 

Hi Rupe

About ten years ago I hit upon a great way of detering "Trick ot Treaters".

I'll make it the subject of a post : I think it's good enough.

 

Blogger Rupe said ... (Friday, November 03, 2006 9:44:00 AM) : 

Hi Les Paul, have a look at Augustus' blog, he had a perfectly lovely experience with Halloweeners.

But he lives in genteel Reading, I live in rough old Camden.

Now the fireworks begin. and living next to Parliament Hill, it is deeply frightening, especially as various members of the "human" race use loud Chinese rockets, and explode them very close to my home.

:-(

 

post a comment